Latest

Flash Floods Kill More than 200 people in Southern Philippine

The death toll from killer floods in the Philippines increased by more than 200 on Tuesday, more than a week after the disaster struck, with officials expecting more corpses to be found.


More than 376,000 people were displaced by the storm and almost 55,000 are still huddled in crowded makeshift evacuation centres, the disaster council said.

The latest figures show that 1,453 are dead. It was announced the worst flood and deadliest tropical cyclone in the history of Philippine

Death toll keeps on rising as navy and coastguard ships fished more bodies out of the waters off the southern island of Mindanao, the civil defence office said.

Many deaths and disappear people are unreported because Ana Caneda said entire families had been wiped out in the hard-hit southern ports of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.  They had no relatives left in the city, there was no-one to report their disappearance to the authorities.

“There are still a lot of areas we have examined that are stinking of dead bodies. We don’t know how many people are buried under that mud,” Caneda told AFP, adding the toll could reach 2,000.

Tropical storm Washi brought heavy rains, overflowing rivers and flash floods to the southern Philippines from December 16 to 18.

Entire neighbourhoods in Cagayan de Oro and nearby Iligan were swept away as major rivers overflowed their banks and swept entire communities out to sea early Saturday. Cagayan de Oro city consisted of half a million people while Iligan port 100,000 inhabitants.

Philippine is located geographically where typhoons or tropical storms are hit every year.

Tropical cyclones produce extremely powerful winds and heavy rains that lead to destructive floods and storm.