Saag Gosht – Lamb & Spinach Curry
This Punjabi dish is a favorite of all curry lovers.
- Bay leaf,
- Coriander powder,
- cumin seeds,
- garam masala,
- Mince meat,
- nutmeg powder,
- olive oil,
- Turmeric powder,
1. Combine the lamb,ginger, garlic in a bowl along with the ingredients for marination – salt, chilli powder, meat tenderizer, and coriander powder. Refrigerate the bowl for at least 20 minutes.
2. Heat the ghee (or unsalted butter) in a pan and fry the onions until golden brown.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and grind the contents.
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add all the spices listed in the ingredients above. As the spices begin to sizzle, add the garlic and ginger.
5. After cooking for a few minutes, add the onion paste into the pan along with the green chillies. Mix well for 3 minutes, while keeping the heat on medium.
6. Add the tomatoes and coriander. Cook this masala for a while.
7. When the oil begins to separate from the masala, add the marinated lamb. Cook the lamb for 15 minutes on medium heat and place the lid, but mix after every couple of minutes.
8. Add 1/2 a glass of water to the pan and decrease the heat. After 25-30 minutes, mix the lamb masala.
9. Once the meat is tender, add the yoghurt and mix.
10. Add the spinach and cook until the yoghurt has been absorbed and the spinach blends well with the masala.
11. Add the nutmeg and cream and beat through. Simmer for 8 minutes.
Serve with Basmati rice or hot chappatis.