- Our Prophet (SAW) said:” How wonderful is the situation of a believer is: Everything is good for him, and this is only true for a believer. For if he encounters good, he is grateful to Allah and that is good for him; and if he is inflicted with hardship, he is patient and that is good for him.”
Facing difficult and unpleasant situations calmly and with dignity is “sabr”. When loved ones die, or you feel strained to perform your Ibadah (salah, roza, zakat etc), or face sudden financial or health loss or any other unpleasant situation occurs, always remember that whatever comes in your way; has been sent by Allah.
- Our Prophet (SAW) said:” Whenever a Muslim is afflicted by any hardship-whether a stress, an illness,worry,grief, harm, disturbance, or even the prick of a thorn-Allah removes some of the wrong actions (from his record) because of it.”
- Our Prophet (SAW) said:”Great rewards are given for great trials, and when Allah loves a people, He tests them. Whoever accepts the trial cheerfully earns His good pleasure, and whoever resents it earns His wrath.”
(Tirmidhi, Ibn Maja)
If a Muslim thinks wisely, he comes to an understanding that whether he accepts any difficult situation with sabr (patience) or wails about it, the things will remain the same, as Allah has wished them to be.
وَاصْبِرْ عَلَى مَا أَصَابَكَ
- “….and bear with patience whatever befalls you…”
وَلَنَجْزِيَنَّ الَّذِينَ صَبَرُوا أَجْرَهُمْ بِأَحْسَنِ مَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ
- “…..And those who are patient, We will certainly pay them a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do.”
What should we do when we wish to have patience?
- “And seek help with patience and As-Salât (the prayer)…..”
وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ0الَّذِينَ إِذَا أَصَابَتْهُمْ مُصِيبَةٌ قَالُوا إِنَّا لِلَّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ0أُولَئِكَ عَلَيْهِمْ صَلَوَاتٌ مِنْ رَبِّهِمْ وَرَحْمَةٌ وَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُهْتَدُونَ
- “…..give glad tidings toAs-Sâbirin (the patient ones, etc) 0 -Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: إِنَّا لِلَّهِ وَإِنَّا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعُونَ