1. We should recite بِسْمِ الله before drinking.
Ibn `Abbas (RAU) reported: Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, “Do not drink in one gulp like a camel, but in two or three (gulps). Mention the Name of Allah (بِسْمِ الله ) when you start drinking and praise Him (i.e., sayالْحَمْـدُ للهِ ) after you have finished (drinking).”
2. We should hold the glass/ cup with our right hand.
3. We should drink water while sitting.
4. We should not breathe in the glass/cup or blow air to cool the drink in the cup.
5. We should drink water in three gulps.
Anas (RAU) reported: Messenger of Allah (SAW) used to breathe three times in the course of a drink (he used to drink in three gulps).
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Anas ibn Malik(RAU) relates that Rasoolullah (SAW) drank water in three breaths (i.e. in three gulps/sips) and used to say, It is more pleasing and satisfying in this manner.
6. We should recite الْحَمْـدُ للهِ when we finish our drink.
7. If we wish to drink milk, we should begin drinking by first reciting بِسْمِ الله . When we are finished, we should recite :
اللّهُـمَّ بارِكْ لَنا فيهِ وَزِدْنا مِنْه
Manners of drinking Zamzam:
1. We should drink Zamzam while standing.
2. We should face Qibla while drinking Zam zam.
3. بِسْمِ الله should be recited before beginning to drink Zam zam.
Narrated Ibn Majah in Al-Manasik on authority of Muhammad Ibn Abdurrahman Ibn Abi Bakr: I was sitting with Ibn ‘Abbas when a man came to him. He (Ibn ‘Abbas) asked, “Where are you coming from” “From Zamzam.” The man answered. Ibn ‘Abbas asked, “Did you drink of it as properly as you should?” The man asked, “How?” Ibn ‘Abbas said: “When you drink of it, you should direct your face towards the Kiblah (the Ka’bah in Mecca), you should mention Allah’s Name (before you start drinking it), you should stop three times (while drinking it) in order to breathe, you should drink of it as much as fills your body, and, once you have finished drinking, you should extol Praises of Allah, All Mighty. This is because Allah’s Messenger, (SAW), said: “The mark of difference between us and the hypocrites is that they do not drink of Zamzam as much as fills their bodies.”
4.A person drinking Zamzam water should intend and hope for healing, blessings and whatever is best for him in this life and in the hereafter. The Prophet (SAW) said, “The water of Zamzam is (good) for whatever it is intended.”