Dress or a garment is a blessing of Allah for us. It serves us in two ways:
1. As a satr (parda)
2. As means of looking good (zeenat)
(chapter: Al Araaf 26/7)
Following are the manners of getting dressed as well as undressing.
1.When dressing up, right side of your body should be dressed first; whether it is your shirt, pants, socks or shoes. ( Sahih Muslim)
2. When undressing, left side of your body should be undressed first.
3. It has been forbidden in hadith to wear one shoe/ sock and walk around. Either wear the whole pair or else remove the first one. (Sahih Bukhari)
4. When you wear a dress, recite this dua:
الحمدُ للهِ الّذي كَساني هذا (الثّوب) وَرَزَقَنيه مِنْ غَـيـْرِ حَولٍ مِنّي وَلا قـوّة
“All Praise is for Allah who has clothed me with this garment and provided it for me, with no power nor might from myself.”
5. When undressing, recite :
(Sahih Al Jama’)
6. When wearing new clothes, recite this dua:
اللّهُـمَّ لَـكَ الحَـمْـدُ أنْـتَ كَسَـوْتَنيهِ، أََسْأََلُـكَ مِـنْ خَـيرِهِ وَخَـيْرِ مَا صُنِعَ لَـه، وَأَعوذُ بِكَ مِـنْ شَـرِّهِ وَشَـرِّ مـا صُنِعَ لَـهُ
“O Allah, for You is all praise, You have clothed me with it (i.e. the garment), I ask You for the good of it and the good for which it was made, and I seek refuge with You from the evil of it and the evil for which it was made.”
(Abu Dawood: 4020)
7. When you see someone else wearing new clothes, recite:
تُبْـلي وَيُـخْلِفُ اللهُ تَعَالى
“May you wear it out and Allah replace it (with another).”
(Abu Dawood: 4020)
8. Muslim men have been forbidden to wear dresses of Muslim women or to imitate them in dressing and vice versa; It has been called Haram by our Prophet(SAW).
9. Use of silk and gold has been deemed Haram for the Muslim men, but halal for the Muslim women, by our Prophet (SAW).
(Abu Dawood, Tirmazi, Nasai, Ibn Maja)
10. Any part of the dress whether pants or shirt that reaches beyond your ankles and gets dragged behind you, will be counted as Takkabr (arrogance). Allah will not even look at such Muslims on the day of judgement.
(Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)
11. There is no restriction on colors of the dress; however white has been given preference by our Prophet(SAW).