Islam is not simply a religion which teaches only about prayers and Quran. It is a complete way of life. It teaches us about every aspect of life in every capacity. Islam has a complete set of manners for every occasion. Following are the manners of going to bed:
1. After Isha prayer, one should not delay going to bed unless there is some need; for example, your guests or your family need some time or there is some religious gathering or lecture.
Narrated Abu Barza:
“Allah’s Apostle disliked to sleep before the ‘Isha’ prayer and to talk after it.”
(Sahih Bukhari vol:1,book:10,No.543)
2. Try to perform Wadu’ before going to sleep.
Narrated Al-Bara ‘bin ‘Azib:
The Prophet said to me, “Whenever you go to bed perform ablution like that for the prayer, lie on your right side.”
(Sahih Bukhari, Vol:1, Book:4, No.247)
3. Whenever you go to sleep, first lie on your right side. You can change sides after wards, but you should never lie down on your stomach.
The Prophet said: “This (style of lying down) is the lying down style of AshabbaNaar.” (people of fire/Jahannam).
4. Hold your palms together; recite sura Ikhlas, Sura Al Falaq, Sura Annas. Blow air in your palms and then rub your hands on your head, face and body as far as you can reach. Do this three times. (Bukhari 78/9)
6. When you lie down on your bed, recite 33 times SubhannAllah and Alhumdolillah and 34 times Allah o Akbar. They are better for you than a servant.(Bukhari143/11, Muslim 2727)
بِاسْـمِكَ اللّهُـمَّ أَمـوتُ وَأَحْـيا
“In Your name O Allah, I live and die.” (Bukhari 156/11, Muslim 2711)
8. Recite the last two Ayaat from Sura Baqara. Verse number (285-286)
(Bukhari 69/9, Muslim 807)
9. Recite this dua three times.
اللّهُـمَّ قِنـي عَذابَـكَ يَـوْمَ تَبْـعَثُ عِبـادَك
“O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the day Your servants are resurrected.”
(Abu Dawood 5045, Tirmazi 143/3)