Badshahi masjid was built by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in Lahore city in the year 1673 and also called the “Emperor’s mosque”. It is called “King” of the mosque as it is one of the largest mosques in the world. The construction of the Badshahi masjid shows the love of Aurangzeb for Allah. It is the best landmark of Lahore and also the best tourist attraction place. It has the capacity of accommodating 100,000 people in the porch and courtyard and additional 10,000 people in the main hall. Now, it is the2nd largest masjid in South Asia and Pakistan and the fifth largest mosque in world.
This masjid has very majestic impression; the interior of the mosque is very well decorated and outside of the mosque is embellished with marble and Red sandstone, it is decorated in indo-Greek, Indian and central Asian style, both in motifs and techniques. Its architect design is much related to the “Jamia masjid” in Dehli. Its prayer room is deep and divided into seven sections by great fixed arches stand on very intense piers. Among the seven sections three double domes are done with marbles is the best arch, while the remaining four are covered with flat domes. The steps that lead to the main prayer hall and the floor are in multicolored marble that looks very beautiful and enchanting.